Elizabeth Vander Veer Shaak - Bowmaker and Violin Shop Proprietor
Captivating stories from the world of violins and bows — and the players, makers, kids, and community that enrich it. Learning the bowmaker’s craft in France & Belgium ... making a bow that gives the exact sound and feel requested by an elite player ... running a violin shop that empowers its workers ... how the shop helped revitalize part of Germantown Avenue ... the forgotten attic violin with a famous $38,000 bow ... how the last living French bowmaker revived the craft in the 1970's ... helping customers find community through music ... offering affordable rentals so people of all means can play a quality instrument ... planning the shop’s groundbreaking transformation to a worker-owned co-op ... how four irreplaceable bows were saved from the Nazis ... how one tenth of a millimeter can make all the difference ... and an audio clip from her band Cabriole.
Podcast website: https://nwphillypodcast.net
More about Elizabeth and Mount Airy Violins & Bows:
- Mount Airy Violins & Bows website
- Cabriole at Rittenhouse Soundworks video
- A Visit With Bow Maker Elizabeth Vander Veer Shaak (Violinist.com, 2006)
- The bow finds the player at Mount Airy Violins & Bows (WHYY, 2011)
- There are more than 240 steps in making a bow - Great bowmaking in Mt. Airy with no strings attached (Chestnut Hill Local, 2011)
You can listen in 3 taps, or just click the black triangle above.