Alex Burns - Transporting Audiences with Vibrant Classic Theater (part 1)
Quintessence Theater Group stages classic plays, with dynamic, innovative productions always true to the heart of the story. Artistic Director Alex Burns gives us a rich inside view.
Hear how he found the seeds of his style in a thrilling collision of American emotion-centered acting with strict Shakespearean rhythm, how a chance encounter led him to launch Quintessence in Mount Airy after being certain he was leaving Philadelphia forever, and lots more.
He’s out to show that classic theater is not elitist, where everyone who walks in the door feels transported as they experience the story together. Like in his radically condensed Hamlet, where four hours become two and the static story becomes power charged.
Articulate, down-to-earth, and full of heart and humor, Alex shares inspiring big ideas as well as real-life challenges of keeping a small theater afloat.
And don’t miss part 2 next time, with great stories that open up how Quintessence productions come to life.
Podcast website: https://nwphillypodcast.net
More about Alex Burns and Quintessence Theater Group:
- Alexander Burns website
- Quintessence Theatre Group
- Quintessence production of Hamlet (2013)
- Bios - AlexBurns.com, Broad Street Review
- Classics Now and Forever: Interview with Quintessence Theatre’s Alexander Burns (Phindie, 2011)
- “I was born into Shakespeare, the American Shakespeare”: Alex Burns on directing MACBETH (Arden) (Phindie, 2015)
- Mt. Airy director stirs up toil and trouble at Arden (Chestnut Hill Local, 2015)
You can listen on a phone or tablet, or just click the white triangle above.