Tiffany Palmer - Leader in LGBT Family Law, and Newly-Elected Judge
As a law student motivated by social justice issues Tiffany ignored her professors’ advice to keep a low LGBT profile, instead launching a career where she’s helped countless people navigate the murky legal waters surrounding non-traditional families and births.
Hear how she helped preserve a six-year mother-daughter bond when the former partner (the biological mother) cut off contact … how she prevented a well-known actress from backing out of motherhood after a surrogate birth … how she intervened when airport security stopped a gay couple with their newborn because no mother was present … and how along the way she won a seminal Pennsylvania Supreme Court case allowing people in non-traditional families to have full parental rights.
Same-sex marriage has been profound nationally, and also personally for her 2-mom family. But we hear how it also forces people to come out if they want to register for benefits, risking workplace discrimination which is still not illegal.
Asking “Am I doing enough?” after the 2016 presidential election she became a candidate for judge, just recently winning a position in Philadelphia’s Court of Common Pleas. She talks about her eye-opening campaign, and the kind of judge she aspires to be.
More about Tiffany Palmer:
- Jerner & Palmer, Attorneys at Law — Website, Facebook
- Tiffany Palmer for Judge — Website, Video
- Thomas Jefferson University bio
- Articles by Tiffany Palmer
- Common-law marriage opens doors to legal rights for LGBT elders (Philadelphia Gay News, 2019)
- Surrogacy Attorney Tiffany Palmer answers questions about the New Jersey Gestational Carrier Agreement Act (Jerner & Palmer, 2018)
- Baby S: Are You My Mother? - a Lesson in Contractual & Parental Responsibility (Path2Parenthood, 2016)
- 8 Articles about same-sex marriage, adoption, and surrogacy (Philadelphia Bar Association, 2011-2015)
- Obergefell Brings Marriage Equality Nationwide, But Legal Questions Remain (Philadelphia Bar Association, 2015)
- The Winding Road to the Two-Dad Family: Issues Arising in Interstate Surrogacy for Gay Couples (Rutgers School of Law Journal of Law and Public Policy, 2011)
You can listen on a phone or tablet, or just click the white triangle above.